As the holidays approach, you are probably already caught up in the hustle and bustle, working through details to gather your family and friends. Once the guest list has been finalized and the menu created, you can begin preparing your home for visitors. Your elevator provides an added convenience for your guests and there are a few things you can do to ensure it is ready for the holiday traffic.
Top 7 Things You Can Do to Prepare Your Elevator for the Holidays
- If you have not had your semi-annual maintenance visit, it is a great time to ensure your elevator is in top shape. The holidays may generate additional elevator use and a proactive approach to maintenance helps to prevent any potential issues. An emergency service call on Christmas Eve will cost much more than a scheduled maintenance call on November 15th.
- Be careful about the items you allow in the elevator. Take care in moving your holiday decorations. Storage boxes and bins could scratch the interior of the elevator car. Always use protective coverings if there is a chance that your load could cause scrapes or scratches.
- Depending on where you live, winter weather conditions could mean more moisture. Keep the elevator clean and dry to prevent damage to the car.
- Remember that the elevator has a rated capacity or weight limit. When guests arrive, keep an eye on how many people are utilizing the elevator at one time.
- Ensure your guests know how to operate the elevator. While having a home elevator is an exciting feature, the elevator is not a toy.
- If there will be children around, ensure they know how to use the elevator safely, or that they will be accompanied by an adult.
- Keep an eye on any pets that may be present. Keep the door/gate closed to prevent animals from getting into the elevator car unattended. When pets are in transit, consider floor coverings to prevent claw marks in the car interior.
The holidays are a great time to bring friends and family together. Taking the steps above will ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for your guests. For useful tips and information about the operation of your elevator, refer to your owner’s manual. Contact your local home elevator company with any remaining inquiries or to schedule your maintenance visit to ensure your elevator is ready for the upcoming holiday season.